My other blog

Monday, October 13, 2008

Kid troubles

My oldest son, 6, is a smart kid. Yes, I know every parent says that about their child, (well a least they should), but he is, just like his mother. lol
I feel like you are what you eat, so I feed my kids knowledge and praise, I tell them they're smart, but when they're wrong I let them know and they are punished accordingly.

Well, anyway, my oldest son is always in trouble in school, therefore at home and its like he never gets to do anything, cause he's always in trouble. I felt so bad for him, so I talked to the counselor in hopes of getting a better understanding of what he might be going through. We came up with having testing him for both A.D.H.D and Gifted and Talented. Long story short she couldn't test him right now for either of the too and I shouldn't punish him too strictly. So meanwhile he keeps getting in trouble for the same stuff. Talking too much, drawing when he's suppose to be writing, arguing with other children, blah, blah, blah.

I was sitting down thinking about this, and it took me back to my childhood. (yes, I can remember back to 1st grade). Man, I got my butt whooped ,like, every other day, for talking too much, fighting with other kids in the classroom, getting sent to the office, blah, blah, blah. But I wasn't the only kid, we all acted up occasionally. Were we, I, they, different form "normal" children? Did we all have A.D.H.D.? (Fa'real that may be a possibility).

But anyway, my point is, what is a normal kid suppose to act like? Is my son abnormal to talk too much. Or is he just a kid. And yes, he talks too much and moves too much, but what kid don't? Then I get to my original thought, but he's such a smart kid. On his report card he has the usual S's, then S+'s in reading and writing, and couple of N's (needs improvement) for talking too much and not using his time wisely. He doesn't know everything like a baby Einstein or nothing, but whatever you teach him he gets, manipulates, and uses immediately. So, the sky is the limit with him and I want to test him for the Gifted and talented program. But then I remember, children are like sponges and ain't my kid just a normal kid?

Well anyway, I'm torn between, just bust his butt, and getting some help.
Should I have had some help when I was a kid (right along with some of those classmates) or did my mom do the right thing and I deserved all those whoopings?


Then I think about all the years I've worked in schools and putting up with some of those kids, and I realize people in education, just don't get paid enough. I know sometimes felt like that although I have not said it out loud, but I've definitely thought about it. So we need to Barack the vote and get our education back on track.

1 comment:

lulu said...

my cousin works in a school and shes always complainnig abou the pay... then kids will be kids, let them get dirty, scratchy, runny nosed etc... coz they need to dispell that energy early and not take it to the streets later in life!

am a firstie! socks! boots!