My other blog

Friday, October 24, 2008

Vice Chairperson

OMG!

I decided to join my son's Headstart parent association for two reasons, to get involved in my son's education, because children do better when their parents are involved, and two because I'm a stay home mom with little to no excitement, may as well use my time wisely.

On the first meeting they asked for a president, vice president, secretary. I didn't volunteer to do any of those things, cause I have never done nothing like that before, neither had my mom, or anybody I knew and honestly I didn't think I would have what it would take to be those things . Well the girl who became the president is some 21 year old crazy girl! She's sweet as she can be, but she acts as if she has no upbringing. On the way to one of our meetings, we all rode together, and the girl did nothing but nonstop gossiping and talking about who she beat up and was going to beat up, cause of her man. Right there in front of the director of our Headstart program. I was embarrassed for her, the way she was carrying on and being loud, even at the meeting. I'm so glad she's not black acting all..... One of the words Karrie B. uses for black folks acting up.

Well a week or so after our first parent meeting, Mrs. B. called me stating that she forgot to elect someone to be a Policy council Representative for our area which includes our little town and three other country towns. She sounded desperate cause she was at her deadline and completely forgot about it, so I agreed, not really confident I would win considering I just moved here and I had never done anything like this before. Well the ballots went out with two girls from my town and girls from the other towns on it, and I won! Imagine that! I was picked to represent the parents and children in four towns. Mrs. B. said, "I figured you'd win you just have that type of personality". Its funny how people can she things in you, you don't see in yourself.

So yesterday we went for our first policy council meeting. One of the things on the agenda was to vote for a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, and a secretary. Once again I won and now I'm the Vice-Chairperson for region 16 which includes several small town and cities in our area. The big thing is they're taking us to some conference on a beach here in Texas. Its gonna be cold, but it don't matter, cause they're paying for everything and I haven't had a vacation in years!

Who knows this may be the beginning for your first black female president. lol. But really this has opened my eyes to all the great things I could do or be for our children! Get involved, help the kids, cause I know you have this before, "The Children are our Future".

3 comments:

James Tubman said...

thats a great thing that you are doing

how do you get vice chairman and a 21 year old gets chairman

and shoot many black women over 40 act like they dont have no home trsining so i can see why the young gurls are so crazy

Strongblkwmn said...

Congratulations!

I have a 23 year old and a 17 year old. I wasn't as involved when my daughter was in school and I really regret that. I was secretary of my son's parent's association for two years and president the last two years. It was a wonderful experience.

Good luck! It's important that we as parents are involved in our children's education.

Obama Mama said...

Well the 21 year old is the president of our parent committee,at the school. I didn't run for that. I wasn't intending to run for the policy council rep either, but the direcector talked me into it. Since I won, I figured I'd try my luck as chairperson, but another girl got that. I'm the vice-chairperson for the policy council which includes the region.